Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Message to My Fellow Forerunners


forerunner |ˈfôrˌrənər|
noun
a person or thing that precedes the coming or development of someone or something else : the icebox was a forerunner of today's refrigerator.
a sign or warning of something to come : overcast mornings are the sure forerunners of steady rain.
archaic an advance messenger.

Over the last ten years, many times I have received prophetic words from people about how I am a 'forerunner'. I was always excited, like: 'Woohoo!! Taking new ground!! Yay!!" Well, the reality has felt quite different. I have felt misunderstood, alone, abused, and confused many times. This year, I feel like I have entered into a new season as a forerunner, where I am focused forward, and not distracted by what is behind or even around me. I wanted to post this blog, to encourage all my fellow forerunners out there.

Here's some things I would like to remind you of, my fellow Christling:

1. Forerunners are often alone.

Don't be surprised by this, forerunners go out before- exactly as the name suggests. You may go into totally uncharted territory in the Kingdom that excites you, but terrifies others. This means you will have to explore on your own. (Unless you find another forerunner who has gone there or will go there with you.)

2. Don't be surprised if no one understands your message.

At first, when you start to talk about the things you have been discovering, many people will look at you as though you've grown a third eye or something. You might feel like a freak. This can be challenging if you are still struggling with needing acceptance and approval from fellow Christians. I encourage you to press on in what you know in your heart is truth. Remember, if you are a forerunner, then there aren't a lot of people with the same message in the world. If you look, you will find some, and as time goes on, others will start to follow you into the new territory you are exploring.

3. When you feel alone, God has not left you.

This is one of the hardest ones I have faced in my journey. It's easy to say "Who gives a rip what anyone says about this, I KNOW God is in it.", but what do you do when it suddenly feels like God isn't there? Logically we know He will never leave us, but what do we do when it feels like He's silent? All I can do is trust what He said. When I went through this last year- the darkest year of my Christian walk- all I could do was believe that He's still good, and that He doesn't lie. (Believe me, I went through a period of time where I couldn't even do that.) It's okay if you can't. Tell Him. He can handle it, and it might make you feel better. One thing I did, was e-mail myself letters of truth- encouragement and faith building scriptures. Keep reminding yourself that God has not left you, nor forsaken you. I love Psalm 77.

Psalm 77
For the director of music. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph. A psalm.
I cried out to God for help;
    I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
    at night I stretched out untiring hands,
    and I would not be comforted.
I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
    I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.
You kept my eyes from closing;
    I was too troubled to speak. 
I thought about the former days,
    the years of long ago;
I remembered my songs in the night.
    My heart meditated and my spirit asked:
“Will the Lord reject forever?
    Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
    Has his promise failed for all time?
Has God forgotten to be merciful?
    Has he in anger withheld his compassion? ”
10 
Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
    the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. 
11 
I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 
I will consider all your works
    and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”
13 
Your ways, God, are holy.
    What god is as great as our God? 
14 
You are the God who performs miracles;
    you display your power among the peoples.
15 
With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
    the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.
16 
The waters saw you, God,
    the waters saw you and writhed;
    the very depths were convulsed.
17 
The clouds poured down water,
    the heavens resounded with thunder;
    your arrows flashed back and forth.
18 
Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind,
    your lightning lit up the world;
    the earth trembled and quaked. 
19 
Your path led through the sea,
    your way through the mighty waters,
    though your footprints were not seen.
20 
You led your people like a flock
    by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

I especially love verses seven through nine. After whining about how tough his life is, the writer finally seems to say, "Hey, snap out of it! Has God failed you??" Of course not, but sometimes we need to remind ourselves.

4. God has equipped you with everything you need to be the victor.

Sometimes when God launches you out, it feels like He's giving you a test He never told you to study for! Don't worry, God is fully able to accomplish what He wills through you. You don't have to drum up your own strength or wisdom or even faith. Just lean back into His arms and trust Him. You will get to watch how He works things out for you! I have seen this so many times! Where my impatience has caused a huge mess, but when I have remained patient, (even when He doesn't seem to answer and give direction), I have watched events miraculously unfold without any striving on my part.

5. Surround yourself with people who support you.

These people don't have to be journeying into the same territory you are, in fact they may not know you are a forerunner, but we all have people in our lives who love us and encourage us no matter what. We need those people. Rely on God first- He is the one who knows where you are going and how He's going to get you there, but we definitely need people to stand behind us and cheer us on. Watch out for people who seem to be supportive, but continually try to reign you in. Now remember, I'm speaking specifically to forerunners, not trying to incite rebellion!! Sometimes people close to us try to reign us in for good reason! I'm talking about when people quench what is burning in you because it is outside of their paradigm and makes them uncomfortable. 

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I'm sure I could write a book on this subject, but I just wanted to encourage you in these things today. Remember, God is Faithful and True. And a lot of fun! If you find yourself getting too serious or going to the dark place because you feel alone in the new territory, take a step back and do something fun!  Hang out with Jesus on the couch and watch a sitcom. He doesn't want your position as a forerunner to be a burden on you, He wants you to delight in the things He is revealing by His Spirit! Don't worry if you ever feel stuck, He'll show you the way out.

Feel free to post your thoughts and encouragements for fellow forerunners in the comments section. :o)

Remember, God knows where we're going. He'll show us the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment